May 08, 2011

Here, lizard, lizard

Things from motherhood that continue to make me crazy-laugh: Maya, watching me use the bathroom right after her: "Mama! You went to the potty! Good job. Now," in the tone of an experienced proctologist and reaching for the toilet paper roll, "let me wipe you." ... Wow. I had to decline, politely.

Yesterday, coming home with Jack from Kroger (Allan and Maya gone to PawPaw's), I found all shoes off the shoe shelf near the front door. Complete chaos. At first I thought maybe Maya did that before leaving, but then realized I didn't see it earlier in the day. Since I left the back door open while we were briefly gone, I figured *something* got in the house and cats made the chase of it. But neither cat was lying in wait nearby, so I figured whatever it was, they got it, and hoped to not find yet another killed hummingbird near the fireplace. Nothing surfaced in obvious places by the time I went to bed.

Tonight, after washing several large things, including Jack's floor quilt, I was loading the dryer. As I shook out the quilt, a large, dead, limp, wet, tail-less lizard fell on my foot.

Only unending, incredible love for my sleeping children prevented a murderous scream born in grossed-out shock that bubbled up in my throat. Kids, if this doesn't tell you I love you, I don't know what ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment