June 08, 2011

Somehow, as my kids slowly-but-really-fast get older, my love and emotion for them only increases. With every small milestone, there's this seemingly endless expansion of my affection for them; my solid awareness of my responsibility for them; now-growing concerns of raising them well and setting an example of faith and fairness and discipline.

I'm more aware than before that they notice every facial expression, every variation of tone, every hint of impatience they didn't deserve but were served anyway. Consequently, I'm actively aware of my outward reaction to them at nearly all times. They do not need to carry my troubles, my physical state, my emotional load, my lack of sleep, my financial concerns. It's their childhood and my influence should be optimal - they should always know I'm 'safe', I'm 'fair', I'm 'kind', with (mostly) unfailing consistency.

That may not be humanly possible at ALL times. But I can make it a superimposed priority MOST of the time. And apologize sincerely for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment