March 28, 2011

Green eggs and ham

Tonight, Maya and I decided to keep it simple and have an omelet for dinner. I'm an enthusiastic believer in letting kids cook with me, so Maya was assigned the all-too-important Mixer role. First, she took on stirring together shredded zucchini and leftover rice. Her version of doing that consisted mostly of eating cold rice, but who's judging?

But the eggs... this child loves to crack her some eggs. She's THE ultimate Sam-I-Am. Tonight, I handed over four eggs, a bowl and a spoon and decided (against my control-freak nature) not to intervene.

The first egg was gently tapped with a spoon - then she gently tried to pry it open with her hands - and it suddenly (the way only eggs can) went KAPLOOEY into the bowl. She dropped the shells there, too, from the foodie shock of it all, which I fished out piece by piece.

BUT! Eggs #2, 3 and 4 were cracked; opened; and she held on to the shells! Such progress within five minutes. To further congratulate herself, she added her own doze of shredded Parmesan to the eggs and gave the whole thing a good mixin'.

Now I just wish I was a tad smarter/quicker and would have taken pictures. Did I mention she *ate* the eggs, zucchini and all? My child with allergy to anything 'green'? Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment